August 25, 2012

The question



Of course that was the question when I was offered to be posted to Tbilisi....

I had applied for a promotion which required a 2 days maraton of several phases. I had to pass group discussions, had to prepare business cases and reports, go through roleplays where I had to handle ‘challenging’ employees. At the end of the first day – we were asked to wait in our hotel rooms for a call to be either invited to the next phase which was the ‘board interview’ or to be sent back home with the first available flight. I arrived to my room at around 15:00 and the call would be after 17:00. Longest 2 hours in my life... At 17:00 I was literally sitting on my bed with the phone on my lap.

17:05 – no call
17:28 – still no call...
17:40 – as soon as the phone rang I answered

‘Dear Seda – we are pleased....’

I didn’t hear much of the rest of the voice on the other side of the line!! I also just heard ‘please check your e-mail / interview details will be sent to your address’

I had passed the first day!! I didn’t blink my eye that night. My mind was full of questions ( as always – part of being a woman I guess – questions – questions – questions!! )

What if I had failed?

What if I would fail the next day?

What if I pass and they post me to a place that we would not be happy to live in? ( I had to think of my better half of course... What if my husband would hate the idea of moving although he had supported my application? )

What if I pass???

Next morning – I was so tired but was somewhat calm. As soon as I entered the interview room – I knew I would pass. Don’t ask me how – I just knew it!

And so I did – I had wished for Tbilisi... The wish came true... 

But I still had the same question on my mind


1 comment:

  1. From the words of Evelyn Greenslade (wonderfully played by Judi Dench) in 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:

    "But it's also true that the person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing. All we know about the future is that it will be different. But perhaps what we fear is that it will be the same. So we must celebrate the changes."

    ReplyDelete